Social Networking was facebook exclusively to me before this class began I had never thought of trying to incorporate my idea of social networking into my first grade classroom. To me Social networking was connecting wit old High school and college buddies and an occasional old boy friend. I chatted with Aunts and Uncles and even my Great Uncle Walt who is in his 80's. I traded recipes and caught up with my parents. I never imagined what social networks could do for people. I joined LinkedIn and I can see how someone who is looking for employment could use this amazing tool. I joined MAET and read some interesting articles in the feeds. I have to say my favorites were Edmodo and Panwapa. I can see how a teacher could use Edmodo in the classroom. They can create their own little network! The calendar feature as well as the chat would be helpful to students and they can check on their progress and turned in work anytime. I think that this is awesome I shared it with my husband who is a high school art teacher and I will be sharing it with my principal. I am not sure that it is right for first grade but maybe second and definately third and fourth. I signed up on Panwapa and my four year old, Samantha heard the music and for the next hour we created a Panwapa, it's habitat and flag! Then we visited 10 different countries and met children and learned about things that are special in their country.
Incase you are interested we are usa125093 password johanna. It was a ton of fun and I can see how I can and will use this in my classroom. The cards that the children collect when they go to different countries are a good way for me as a teacher to monitor their time on the site. I think that my kids will love it. I know Sammie did! So, my vision of social networking has changed and I am excited to learn more and hopefully find more wonderful things to share with my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment